Tuesday, April 15, 2014

ARE YOU OLD ENOUGH?




This photo is so cute--that is, to those of us ancient enough to remember the hit TV show starring Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman:  I DREAM OF JEANNIE from the 1960s.

Humans, I've found, dress their dogs up in just about anything; for doxies, it is often as a hot dog, but when Halloween rolls around, there are so many doggie costumes out there, it's staggering!  Just visit a store like PetSmart and see all the pet costumes they have on display. 

I'm definitely not against dressing up our pets, but my doxie Duke flatly REFUSES to keep anything on except his collar.  Oh, he's been known to wear granddawg Shadow's sweaters now and then (but that was because Shadow was wearing one, too). 

When I was a child, we had a red dachshund named Elia when we lived in Germany.  She was so compliant!  I dressed her up in doll clothes and she was very tolerant of that.  I often dressed her up as a baby and strolled her outside in my doll pram! 

In a baby outfit complete with one of those frilly little caps, Elia was all wrapped up in a soft baby blanket, lying back with only her head and front paws visible.  Imagine how adults reacted when they would indulgently take a peek inside that pram (surely you remember those--the ones with a cover?) and see a dawg instead of a doll!

Dachshunds--ya gotta love 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment