Thursday, March 1, 2018

THAT SAYS IT ALL

Image may contain: dog and text

I can attest to the fact that doxies love and care about their humans. Dogs can sense when we are upset or distraught, and it has been proven that they can smell the difference in our bodies when we are sick, often before we know. My doxie Duke fulfilled a role in our family that no human could, just by being his sweet self. My hubby and I often used to joke about how happy Duke was when we came home--no human was ever so thrilled to see us like he was. 

Image may contain: dog

I've written before about what a great nurse Duke was when I had my two knee replacement surgeries in 2014 (has it already been that long??). My husband Clark waited on me hand and foot, so I'm not discounting his service at all. But Duke lay right by my side, often looking into my eyes, and seeing the pain there, would lick my hand to reassure me. When I first came home from the hospital after the first knee surgery, I could not get up from my recliner without help. However, it hurt terribly when Clark pulled me up. At first, Duke thought "Daddy" was hurting me, and got very upset, barking loudly at Clark. After I reassured him that the pain wasn't because of Clark, he settled down. Such is the beauty of a dog's love.

By the way, yesterday--Feb. 28--marked eight months since Duke left us. It has gotten easier, but I still miss him. We have decided against bringing another pet into our home, not because we don't love dogs, but because we just aren't up for the responsibility any longer. I don't want any dog but Duke. He had gotten used to us, and we had gotten used to him. Ten years of unconditional love, and we are so thankful for those years with him. He was a bright spot in our lives.

Dachshunds . . . you always love them, even when they're no longer here.


No comments:

Post a Comment