Saturday, October 5, 2013

CHANGING DIRECTION: A DIFFERENT PATH CAN BRING BLESSINGS

A few years ago, we (my publisher Oaktara and I) chose to change the dog's name in my books as well as my first book's title and series name.  Suffice it to say that an individual planned to sue if we didn't, saying he/she had placed a trademark on the name I had used.  Although my dog's name was not really under a trademark, we decided that years of court battles and hundreds of thousands of  dollars in costs were just not worth the battle, although we were not in the wrong.  My book would have been shelved during those years as well.  I've found that the individual in question has also gone after other authors and entities for that same reason, citing that he/she was planning a TV series using the dog's name that I (and they) had chosen.  That TV series, by the way, has never happened. 





Through it all, Oaktara changed my book covers and content, contacting many websites and bookstores for me to alert them to the change--all at no charge to me.  They were gracious, kind, and willing to help me, and I will be eternally grateful to them for that.  My first book is still out there, and will be for some time to come, although it is no longer being printed.  From it, I AM SARGE, its newer edition, was born, and the old series is now THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES.  I strengthened the story and improved I AM SARGE, so all has turned out for the best! 

Yesterday, I emailed the manuscript of A DACHSHUND'S TRIBUTE to Oaktara.  The fourth and final book of THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES series, it joins Book 3, DACHSHUNDS FOREVER, in awaiting publication.  To the uninitiated, waiting is a big part of writing and publishing, unless, of course, one chooses to self publish.  Many of my author friends are doing just that these days, and are doing well.

I, on the other hand, have opted to stay with Oaktara, at least for this series of books.  I haven't yet decided on a writing project for the near future--perhaps I'll head in the direction of writing magazine articles for a time.  I want to emphasize, however, that I have been very happy with Oaktara Publishing:  their professionalism, integrity, and concern for authors has been phenomenal.

My life's verse, Romans 8:28, is true:  "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose" (NIV).  That doesn't mean that everything happening to Christians is good in itself, but God can turn it around to work for good in our lives.  He has done that for me many times.  Above all, I am so thankful to Him as well.

I will post updates to both books awaiting publication on this blog, my other blog, my website, my Facebook page, Twitter, and anywhere else I find a platform!   And finally, thank you, readers, for choosing THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES.  Writing about my wonderful and zany family and our animals has truly been a labor of love for me.

2 comments:

  1. check out this hilarious video of a dachshund puppy beating up a cat LOL

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcQBPFchIvE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did view that video, and it is so "dachshund"! Our doxie Duke loves to "run laps" around the room like that puppy when we are playing with him. Thanks for sharing :).

      Delete