Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A DOG IS A FAMILY MEMBER



My dog Duke is a truly member of our family, and so is Shadow our granddawg.  Oh, of course we all know they are dogs--it's just that we want to treat them well, see to their well being, and make sure they know we love them.

I am certain that some children wish their families loved them as much!  We do put humans before animals, but our animals need us to take care of them.  If we happen to love them along the way, that is even better.  Because if you've never had a doggie kiss, a warm little body snuggling close, or a doggie smile, then you have missed out on something special.

I will repeat the statement below because I have witnessed it firsthand:

Papa Duke, one of the beloved characters in THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES series of dachshund books, so aptly states our feelings about dogs:
"A dawg loves you no matter what. You can be ugly, old, even dumb--but a dawg don't care. All he wants is your love and some food now and then. I think dawgs represent the unconditional love God has for us--maybe that's why He created them, to show that to us."

Yesterday was the thirteenth anniversary of my dad's death, and we still miss him.  Our daughter Holly posted the following picture and status on Facebook:



"Can't believe it's been 13 years today since my Papa Duke passed away. I loved him so much my heart could burst! He was one-of-a-kind. So thankful I was blessed to have this sweet, strong, hilarious, story-telling, musically-talented, superb chef, and best teddy bear ever as my grandpa. This is the first anniversary of his passing that my grandma is with him."

Yes, he's the same Papa Duke in THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES books, and much of the things I wrote about, he actually said and actually did.  He was the kind of person whom all dogs loved immediately, so to me, that's proof positive of the wonderful man he was.  

Dogs just know.

No comments:

Post a Comment