Tuesday, June 11, 2013

WHAT'S UP WITH DACHSHUNDS AND BEDS?



The cartoon pretty much sums it up.  Shadow, our granddawg (known as Sarge in THE DACHSHUND ESCAPADES) "wrote" the following excerpt from I AM DACHSHUND, Book 2.

"The Defiant Paw"

Kurt had brought in the air mattress, and with its accompanying electric pump, he had it ready for linens in no time.  Mama and Bethany were preparing to put sheets on the bed when I saw my chance and jumped right into the middle of that comfy air mattress.  "Sarge, get down, boy!  We're trying to make the bed!"  But I like this big, comfy bed, and I want to sleep on it.  So I turned over on my back and just lay there, looking up at Mama. 


"Sarge, we said this ISN'T your bed, so get down, boy!"  Mama shoved me off again.  Since they wouldn't let me back up on that bed, I believed I should demonstrate how I felt about this bed.  So I sat down beside the mattress and took my paw and placed it on the edge of the mattress.

Daddy started laughing.  "Look at that 'defiant paw' on that mattress!  Sarge is like a strong-willed child with his own way of communicating his feelings to us, isn't he?"

Mama came over to me and picked me up.  "Sarge, you really can't help it:  dachshunds are noted for being stubborn, and although you ARE a good boy, you are one determined little doggie when it comes to something you want.  You are so funny sometimes!"

Well, Mama, a dawg has to stick up for himself, you know.  People are kinda slow to pick up on things sometimes, and even you don't always figure out what I'm trying to say--but you got it right this time.

As everyone headed off to bed, they continued laughing over my "defiant paw."  I didn't mean to be defiant; I merely meant to make perfectly clear what I wanted, even though I ended up not getting my way, as usual.  I did, however, enjoy my new doggie bed that Papa gave me for Christmas, the next best thing, which Mama placed beside the fireplace for me.

I nearly got myself into trouble this time by being persistent, but it worth a try, and at least I got my point across to them.  We dogs never know how people are going to react, but a smart dog has to take chances now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment